Friday, September 15, 2006

Tiki! Tiki! Tak!

Happy 18TH September!

By Kerwin De Matas.

Here I am! Preparing for the Chilean independence and festivities; the good times folks! Trinbagonians in Trinidad and Tobago or where ever you might be, I love my country, and everything about it, but like a true trini, a very good event would not be turned down...This is going to be my sixth independence here, and I just enjoy it more and more each year.

A Huaso ( Chilean Cowboy )

In these times in our world today, too many bad events are taking place, if it's not war, if it's not drugs, if it's not exploitation of kids...., too much pain, that's why we have to cherish the good things when they do come along. So the event for me now is in Chile. Where ever you go to celebrate the independence in this country, is something to look forward to, but for me, going to the south for the celebrations, is just awesome!

The Famous Cueca!

I am just fascinated by the Huaso culture in the south/central part of Chile. For me, I guess I had always liked the idea of being a cowboy when I was a kid, watching all those American western movies on T.V. But seeing it live, Chilean style, it's even better. How they always move about all year round on horses, the local wide brimmed cowboy hat, the clothes they wear, they even wear spurs!

Empanadas, The Good Stuff!

Now the food, wow, let's talk about the food man. They have something that's called ' Anticucho ', it's a variety of meats served on a thin single metal prong with a wooden handle to the end.

Preparing Anticuchos

Barbecue of whole animals ( sorry! ) just makes the atmosphere even more festive with the delicious aromas, everyone dancing the local dance called ' Cueca ', and drinking a sweet local home made wine called ' chicha ' from the horns of bulls called the ' cacho '! Now that's what I call Huaso!

Las Fondas

Don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy these celebrations so much, that I just had to learn the Cueca ( I dance very well too! ), and I also drink chicha like a real huaso with ' agua diente '( only missing the horse now..). Just maintaining the trini reputation guys!! Don't worry I'm , hic, hic, okay...! Kudos to all the Chileans, and a very happy 18TH September!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 AM

    Excelent, man !!!!
    Glad to know you enjoy our festivities. I feel proud of my country and its traditions, I love these dates because of the joy and everything you perfectly described: the food, drinks, traditional dances, games & competitions.
    I feel but joy knowing that you feel welcome in this country and I wish you to have a so nice time during these days !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Kerwin! I loved your blog...I have one too but I never write...plop!
    It's really interesting this post, thank you for showing our culture to other places, but I have an "ACOTACION" (I dont know the word in english, je!)... don't drink so much because alcohol its bad for your body ;o) and you have to work for those days, I dont want to see you drunk, at least not here at work...je, just joking...

    Did you eat your hot dog today? remember to cooperate with our Fiesta de Fin de Año...ok man!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete

This Blog Is

Check out the best of em' !

Destra Garcia