Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Let´s Talk About Jays..


By Kerwin De Matas

What a big let down! Why do most of us as human beings just like doing things in contrast to what we should be doing? I mean, we would be told to turn left then right, but we would just go right then left, why? Do we all have this rebellious streak within us, that just makes us want to do the complete opposite?

Crossing Against Red

All these questions came about when I was on my way to work one morning, and on exiting the subway, there are traffic lights just after you leave the entrance to cross the street. Try understanding this scene now while I tell it. The morning crowd on their way to work just building up, with the majority doing what I call the ' dodge ', while the rest of us that wants to live, just hang around until the lights change to green.

The Dodgers!

These lights, I have to admit, are a bit too long for my liking, but it doesn't excuse the daily behaviour of many pedestrians. What's the dodge?....Figure it out, while I explain a little bit of the layout of this main street. It's three lane traffic, has a fork shape and the lights are to the body of the fork with the traffic coming towards the body. Because of these lights taking their merry time to change, there are people who just take the chance of running across that road with the lights on red, and I mean parents with kids, street vendors, old people that can't even go more than one today,one tomorrow, the scene is just crazy. What an example we are eh?

This Is What Happens To Dodgers...

Then we wonder why so many people get run over in Santiago. Now this opinion, is not limited to Chile only. I have seen where ever I have been on my travels, people doing the same nonsense. Are we willing to risk our lives to get where we are going with such recklessness? Can the rush be so important? Time to get serious now, our kids, as well as adults that do not know about road safety, needs to be educated on this topic.

Let's Learn Prevention

Then those of us that do know about the risks and we just pretend to be stupid, wake-up, we have the younger ones watching! We have to be aware of the things that affect our lives, so that we can use the preventions in place to protect ourselves. If you have doubts on these preventions, look up my ' Excellent links 'for Wikipedia, which is my favorite, or simply use the wide open web! There is a saying that goes " Prevention is better that cure ", take care...No to Jay Walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Check out the best of em' !

Destra Garcia