Wednesday, December 06, 2006

We Are Full Of Love!!


By Kerwin De Matas

We did it again, notice I said we...It´s because, I was just as part of it,as any Chileno. What am I talking about? The Telethon, that is done annually in Chile. There are times when I feel let down, because of the crime or in-considerations that happens here during the year. But then I remind myself, hey, these things happen, not only in Chile, but all over the world. One thing, I would say though, is that, even though we might want to criticize Chile every day, of every month of the year, when it comes to solidarity, I would say that Chile and it´s people are number one! What is Telethon? It´s a live broad casted event done in Chile since 1978, and hosted ever since by a very dedicated Mario Kreutzberger.

Since 1978, And Going Strong!!

This very noble fund raising event, held every December, is done to raise mush needed funds for handicapped kids and adults in their rehabilitation process. Telethon in Chile is known to always have famous national and international entertainers and athletes, doing various presentations on behalf of this noble event. A lot of important companies, smaller companies, workers, schools, rich people, poor people, I mean, everyone just comes out! Before coming to Chile, I always tried my best of involving myself in fund raising events, but I have to say that I always feel good when this time of year comes. Okay, so we make stupid mistakes during the year, but our good side shows when December comes by.

Mario Kreutzberger Brings Hope Every Year To Telethon


I am Trinidadian, but I am very happy that my new born son is Chileno, because then he would learn from day one, how to give from the heart. On the 2nd of December, he was only five days old, but he accompanied me to the bank to make our donation. With the return of each Telethon, we see all that is done with people in rehabilitation, and it is quite emotional. Don´t get me wrong when I say this, but what ever effort I gave to Telethon in the years gone by, would now have to be more, why? God gave me a second son that is in every way normal, and in excellent health. This does not mean that I am going to be a sympathetic fool towards handicapped people, but to be understanding. Remember ladies and gentlemen, handicap people don´t need our sympathy, they just need us to understand that they are people too, and all they need is the necessary tools and rehabilitation to go on in life.

Because Of Telthon, Thousands of Handicapped Kids And Adults Can See A Better Future


For example, in this Telethon, Mario Kreutzberger or Don Francisco as he is known, invited a Mexican lady to demonstrate to the Chilean public that no matter how one is born, with perseverance, anything is possible. This lady has no hands, but with the Mexican rehabilitation centers, she got artificial hands and learned how to use them. But eventually, this young lady of twenty-eight years of age, decided that she wanted to use her own limbs no matter what. So what did she do? She learned how to use her feet as hands!! I swear that I cried when I saw her demonstrate the use of her feet, I shouldn´t have, but I did. She showed everyone that anything that we can do with our hands, she can do with her feet, and with an ease that was really astonishing...Yes ladies and gentlemen, I am really proud to be part of this Chilean society, in it´s good times or bad, but we really can be good when we want to!!

" Va-mos,
vamos Chile-no,
Esta no-che,
nos vamos a lograr! "

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Check out the best of em' !

Destra Garcia