Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Someone......

By Kerwin De Matas

"Some one came knocking
At my wee, small door;
Someone came knocking;
I'm sure-sure-sure;
I listened, I opened,
I looked to left and right,
But nought there was a stirring
In the still dark night;
Only the busy beetle
Tap-tapping in the wall,
Only from the forest
The screech-owl's call,
Only the cricket whistling
While the dewdrops fall,
So I know not who came knocking,
At all, at all, at all."
                                                   .............. Walter De La Mare


You know, in some families, there is that " someone" that might be an alcoholic, drug addict, felon, drifter, worthless...and the list goes on...
That someone is usually shunned by society as another problem, sometimes by their own family.
Most times though that "some one" is always knocking, asking for help in the only way they know how. To us it will be as violent behaviour, mood swings, incomprehensible blabber, delinquency, alcoholism, drug abuse etc....Remember, these problems always have their origins.
Just as our "some one" will need professional help, the family of that person would also need counselling on how to cope, as well as how to support that "someone".

In Trinidad and Tobago, yes there are small organizations that are there to help, but so long as the general population continues to be indifferent, and not very sympathetic towards these "some ones"..... nothing will happen. According to Trinbagonians, these people just need a good "cut-ass"! (beating). Therefore these unfortunate people, rejected by society, would just continue to add to vagrancy, crime, drug addiction etc...
Well, I also have a "some one" in my family, of whom I love very much, and unfortunately for my family member, he is living in Trinidad....and it worries me everyday of what his out come would be. I say I love him, but yet I am so far away from the island...seems like I am more involved with what is going on in my life, that I cannot even try to be there to help in which ever way I can.
Instead, I try communicating with people I think he would listen to, in admitting that he has a problem, and that he needs help.
In these cases, it is commonly known that unless a person with a problem, admits to having a problem, no assistance could be given....and that worries me a lot, because my goodness, he is stubborn!
I believe though that us, his family, should not give up on him, and that we must do what we can to support him in this his down and out moment in life. He owes it to himself, but we owe it to him as well.
So kid, if ever you might read this, just know that I am here for you regardless of my distance, and you should know that we are worried for you, and that we genuinely want to help.  

For bloggers that do read my blog, just think of your "some one" as well, and don't ever forsake them....they are always knocking.... so respond.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Is

Check out the best of em' !

Destra Garcia